A Quick In-Season Ab and Arm Workout for Baseball Players [ARTICLE]
|A Quick In-Season Ab and Arm Workout for
By: Jim Carpentier
Provided by: STACK
As the baseball and softball seasons gear up, it can be hard to find time to hit the weight room to maintain core, lower- and upper-body strength. But building strength in these areas is important to develop a powerful swing and prevent injury.
Using just a few combo superset exercises, the following 15-minute workout is a good option for busy times and it requires very little equipment.
• Water bottle
• Timer (optional)
• Two moderately heavy dumbbells (70-80% RM)
• Perform an upper- and lower-body dynamic warm-up (e.g., Arm Circles and Lunges).
• Finish with a cool down, upper- and lower-body static stretches for greater range of motion and flexibility.
• Sets/Reps: 2x10
• Rest time between supersets per exercise, 30 seconds; 60 seconds between combo exercise supersets.
• Hydrate before, during and after workouts.
• Perform the workout two or three times per week on non-consecutive days for adequate recovery.
• Change the sequence of combo exercise supersets each workout for variety.
Seated Dumbbell Rows/Crabwalks
• Sit on the mat and hold the dumbbells with an underhand (supine) grip.
• Extend your arms at waist-level and keep your legs slightly bent.
• Explosively pull the dumbbells toward your waist, pause one second,and return to start position in three seconds.
• Do nine more reps and immediately put down the dumbbells on the sides of the mat.
• Without resting, do Crabwalks back and forth on the mat from one end to the other, 10 times.
• Rest and repeat.
This is a great combo exercise superset for core, upper- and lower-body strength, and building up the forearms, biceps and triceps.
Alternating Explosive Push-Ups/Squat Thrusts Combination Superset with Prone Planks
Several muscles are involved in this challenging combo of exercises for developing upper- and lower-body power, and core strength.
• Assume a push-up position on the mat. Lower in three seconds and press up in one second with your hands leaving the mat.
• Rapidly follow with a Squat Thrust and continue alternating explosive Push-Ups with Squat Thrusts for 10 reps.
• Superset with Prone Planks.
• Hydrate and repeat each movement.
These movements build up your arms as well as your chest and shoulder muscles (Press-Outs) and strengthen your hips/thighs and core muscles (Side Lunges & Twists).
• Assume an athletic stance and hold one dumbbell horizontally at each end close to your chest.
• Explosively press the dumbbell away from your chest and extend your arms, while laterally lunging with your right leg.
• Pause one second, then rotate your body with the dumbbell to the right in a twisting motion (like swinging a bat).
• Return to start position and do nine more reps.
• Without rest, combine the Press-Outs while laterally lunging left and twisting for 10 reps.
• Hydrate and repeat.